Tuesday, July 5, 2011

The three week mark

Three weeks have now elapsed since beginning this 100-Day Heart Challenge.  A few thoughts (ramblings) concerning the events of these 21 days:
  1. I never dreamed that writing a blog could be therapeutic, but it has been for me.  Gives me a little time for reflection and introspection. 
  2. This past 3 weeks has been an emotional ride for me.  The emotions came quickly to the surface right from the start on day one.  It was difficult to break the news to my sweetheart that my blood sugar was so high that I was very likely diabetic.  It was, and still is, hard to hold back the tears when I think of it.
  3. Just knowing  that people are reading my blog is humbling.  Then when I add in all of the comments that people have made to me either in person or postings on Face Book, I become emotional once again.  It is a privilege to have such wonderful friends and family members cheering me on and giving advice.  It becomes it easier to keep on keeping on during workouts when the muscles get tight and the heart is pumping, or when bad food choices are is in front of me knowing that there is a group of admired associates who want me to succeed.  My personal thank you to this cheering section!!!  You are making a difference in my life!!!
  4. I have been blessed.  I have not had the feelings of "wanting to eat the table".  This is what we call it at my house when you are so hungry that you could eat a horse, or in the case the table.  The pangs of hunger have been at bay.  I have not really had a hard time resisting those tempting foods either.  The real test came on July 4th when Fat Boy Ice Cream Sandwiches were available.  I was introduced to Fat Boys some 25 years ago and was instantly hooked.  I was offered "one bite" but it was easy to say no.  Deep down I was afraid that it would become like potato chips.  One bite just won't do.  
So after 3 weeks I have lost 11 pounds.  The blood sugar levels continues to improve, but still room for improvement.  The blood pressure is showing more days of low and less days of high readings.

My hope is that I will be able to announce in the 4 week report next week that my weight is under less than 200 pounds.  It will be a glorious day when I can say I weigh less than 200 pounds.

2 comments:

  1. you're doing so great James! Seriously, you are one of the most motivated people that i know!keep up the great work. One step at a time James, you'll get below the 200 mark in no time!

    ReplyDelete