Thursday, July 14, 2011

Education overload

This week has an education overload for me.  I have attended two diabetes education sessions lasting 2 1/2 hours each and our weekly nutrition class lasting 1 hour.  Tonight I have the third and final diabetes class.  My wife has been attending the diabetes classes with me.  It has been wonderful to have her support and to have another set of ears and another mind to catch more nuggets of goodness.  So much good information in such a short period of  time.  I hope to be able to digest all of it.  There has been some real good stuff. 

I now have a better understanding of what is happening in my body in regards to insulin and glucose.  I better understand the need for carbs and why as a diabetic you just can't save them up for one good blast at the end of the day.  I have learned that snacking can be a good thing, when done appropriately. 

This morning's nutrition class brought new thoughts on attitude towards dieting and how to listen to your body in regards to its nutritional needs.  The reference for today's lesson was from a book titled "Intuitive Eating".  I was impressed enough that this may be one of the books that I will purchase to help me along my journey.

Tonight's diabetes class will focus on exercise.  Will I learn that I can actually love (or at least tollerate) that dirty word?

No comments:

Post a Comment