Saturday, June 18, 2011

Thoughts on heredity

This is a picture of my mother and father taken in 1981.  Mom was 51 years old (one year younger than I am now) when the photo was taken.  The events of this week has brought to the forefront of my mind that I am my mother's son.

Evidence: At the age of 48 she suffered her first heart attack; I suffered one at the age of 46.  At the age of 52 both of us were diagnosed with diabetes.

Now this is where I want the similarities to end.  Mom died at the age of 53 from complications following heart surgery.  Me?  I want to live all the way into my 80's, working at the temple up to the end.  I see so many good folks there every week that look great and are over 80.  That's what I want.

So how much of my health challenges are due to the genes I inherited from mom?  I don't think I will ever know exactly.  I'm sure it has played a large part.  But another part just as big, if not bigger, is the lifestyle I have had over the years.  My main exercise came in repetitious lifting of the fork from plate to mouth.  It sure is tasty exercise, but it has not served me well.

If you who are reading this have family histories of heart disease, high blood pressure, or diabetes make sure that you take steps to help avoid these problems.  You can't do anything about what is in your genes, but you can do something about your eating and physical activity habits that can make the difference. 

1 comment:

  1. James, i enjoy reading your blog. You are very entertaining!kick those family genes in the behind!!!

    ReplyDelete