Friday, June 17, 2011

Some good news and some not so good news.

Should I start with the good news or the not so good news first??? 
Let’s get the worst out of the way.  I visited with my primary care physician, Dr. Gordon Harkness, today.  He had the test results from the blood extracted from my veins on Wednesday.  The news is Type 2 Diabetes.  Can’t say I was surprised.  He gave me all sorts of good information.  Next steps: some oral medication to help my body handle the sugar, visit an ophthalmologist, take some diabetes nutrition classes, eat right, and exercise.  Not overwhelming, but challenging I must say.
The good news is two fold.  First: my blood pressure was 118/84.  I can’t remember the last time I saw my blood pressure that low.  Second: I have lost 3 pounds since Tuesday’s weigh in!  I was thrilled to say the least when I stepped on the scales this morning and saw that kind of drop.
Tomorrow begins a new day for me.  I will meet with my personal trainer for the first time.  I have never been one for intense exercise.  This could be an interesting development.  Wonder if I will sleep much tonight.
BTW anyone looking for a good primary care physician?  I can whole heartedly recommend Dr. Harkness.  He is one of the best I have had over the years!

No comments:

Post a Comment