Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Almost Done

Well the 100 - Day Heart Challenge is just about over.  On Friday we weigh out, get measured, and have the blood tested.  On Saturday we (the 100-Day Challenge contestants) get to have the fun of doing a two mile run.  Are you kidding me?  Even when I was in high school and college I never ran 2 miles at one time.  The most I ran was 1 1/2 miles in the Fitness For Life that BYU required.  Do they still require that class?

At any rate I thought I would provide a few thoughts that have coursed through my brain molecules over the past few days.  I apologize now for the length of this entry in my blog.
  1. Entering the Heart Challenge was exactly the right thing for me to do at this time in my life.  It was through the initial blood tests that my diabetes was discovered.  I am grateful that this disease was discovered sooner rather than later.  Having this challenge with all its supports and helps has been a wonderful gift in getting me a strong foundation for living with diabetes for the rest of my life.
  2. I set a goal of 25 pounds of weight loss during the challenge.  As of last Saturday I have lost 27.  Goal accomplished.  New goal reset to another 25 pounds lost by New Years Day.  I know this will be a real stretch especially with the holiday season leading up to my target date.  But go big, or go home, right?  To say I am thrilled with the 27 pounds lost would be a huge understatement.  I have never lost this much weight in my life.  If I can drop 50 pounds .... FANTASTIC!  That would be way cool.
  3. I do worry about being able to keep up with the good eating habits and physical exercise.  It is so easy to back slide.  I would like to work myself up to being able to run an 5k race with my son Joshua before he moves out of state to work on his doctorate's degree next year.  If I can do 2 miles on Saturday I should be able to add one more mile to it by springtime.
  4. Things that have brought me satisfaction during this challenge?  Baggy clothes that were once tight.  Belts that are on their last hole.  Climbing to my seat at the BYU football games without getting winded.  Having people notice that I have lost weight and comment on the baggy clothes.  
  5. The biggest satisfaction to me?  Being able to play racquet ball with my son Joshua.  Before the challenge there would have been no way I could have played racquet ball.  Now I can do it and find that I love it.  I love it for the workout it gives my body.  But mostly I love it for the time I get to spend with my friend/son.  One on one time, you can't place a value on that.  I hope that we can do it many more times before he moves away.  It makes me wish that I could have done something like that with my own father.  Unfortunately he was diagnosed with cancer when I was 12 years old.  While he lived another 20 years after that, his health did not allow him to do that kind of physical activity.
Well that's it for now.  We will find out the results next Tuesday.  I'll report back to you on how everything ended.  Thanks to each of you for your kind words of support and encouragement!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment